Tuesday 11 May 2010

My first 24 hour solo mountain bike race

I’m sitting here, first day back at work, trying hard not to eat every thing sweet in the office just to keep me awake. That’s right, I’m still off the coffee. I am using the phone to call people over the other side of the office as my legs, back and everything else are too sore to walk anyway.

If you haven’t figured it out yet, I have just come back to work after competing in my first 24 hour solo mountain bike race. In fact I did 24.5 hours, thanks to Pete Hart. I’m sure he took a lot of joy in telling me I had to do that last lap but in the end it did pay off.

Sarah, Sacha and I picked up the motor home during the week. I took Thursday off work to pack and get the last minute things worked out and I’m glad I did. I found the logistics a lot harder than the training and was just looking forward to getting on the bike with only pedalling to concentrate on.

We stayed at Pete’s place in Horsham on Thursday night before making the drive over to Adelaide (Cuddle Creek). We got to the track early and got a prime position. We set up camp and had a very lazy Friday night. After the compulsory pasta meal, of course.



The race started at 2pm, which seem to come around very quickly. Before I knew it I was on the start line.


My plan was to take it easy. I kept telling myself to take it easy, conserve. That lasted about 5 minutes before I got frustrated and had to get a move on. I’m not one for taking it easy. I pushed hard, very hard as if it were a 6 hour race.






The lights had to be on the bike for 5pm so the team had my spare bike set up ready to go.





And as we were slowly losing light, I was slowly losing my legs. My back was getting tight and I was losing the ability to push up the way too many hills. I worded up the crew that I wanted a banana and Nutella sandwich on the next lap past our camp.



I pulled in for the sandwich and as I inhaled the best sandwich I have ever had, Sarah did her magic and stretched me while I was inhaling. I’m still not sure whether it was Sarah’s magic or the sandwich but I found my legs again. I was off and racing again.

Sarah, Sacha and Pete stayed and supported me for most of the night. I pulled the pace back and settled in to a comfortable pace. I managed to have a chat to a couple of the riders as we cruised around, which was a great help. A big thanks goes to Phil for his words of advice.


At some time in the early morning when the crew were all asleep I passed our camp and sore a half eaten piece of pizza. A frozen style pizza that I would normally turn my nose up at, was quickly inhaled as I rode past. Sorry if that was your snack. It was great!




Phil’s advice was "just make it until the sun comes up and you’ll be right" and he was right. With the sun I found a whole lot of energy. I was like a new man, just with a very sore arse.
I ditched the lights, scoffed some breakfast and dialled the pace back up.



The next few hours seemed to fly by. It was like I had wings. Perhaps that was from the Red Bull! It must work.


I was getting feedback from the team that I was doing ok and to keep pushing.

My right knee felt like it was going to blow out but my stubborness kicked in. I made it this far there was no way I was stopping now. I kept pushing hard despite the pain. I didn’t tell the others as I thought Sarah might not agree with fact I was still riding on such a sore knee.

Before I knew it the 24 hours were almost up and I was asking Pete whether I had to do the last lap to hold my position. Stupid me because of course Pete’s answer was that I had to. But this time Pete wasn’t playing a practical joke and I could tell from his response that I did have to do it. I grabbed a bottle of coke from Sarah and then I was off to do my final lap. I pushed hard. I was going to make sure I had nothing left in the tank after this lap. I was surprised to find I had a fairly clear track which made it very easy. I passed about another 20 riders but all in easy to overtake spots which was great.

I rode past the camp for the last time. The crew were there giving me support, yelling encouragement. I only had about 10 minutes to the finish line.

I climbed my last hill, rode through the gate and into the finishing shed. I was finished.

I, surprisingly, didn’t feel too bad.

After 24 hours, 29 minutes and 38 seconds I finished in 11th position in my first ever 24 hour solo mountain bike race. Even more surprisingly, I had just qualified for the World Championships!



A massive thank you must go to Sarah (from Fit Stop Personal Training) for all her support over the last couple of months, with my constant tiredness and sometimes grumpiness.

A huge thank you must go to Sacha for his support over the weekend. I didn’t get to see a lot of him but I know he was there doing his thing. The bike ran like clock work and the transition between bikes and lights was flawless. He was also an awesome training partner. Ok he didn’t take me to hospital when I crashed but never the less he was still there for me. He ventured out on many rides with me and the company was greatly appreciated.

To Peter Hart I must also say a big thank you. Both for letting us park at your place Thursday and Sunday night and also for all your help over the weekend. Having you stay up so late, being there when I rode into camp at some crazy hour in the morning was a massive support. Just seeing someone in camp for a 2 minute chat does really lift your spirits and it helps. Your race experience also came in very handy.

A big thank you to the rest of the Horsham crew as well. It was great having your support, seeing you and quickly chatting to you as I rolled past.

A massive thank you must go to the person who owned that half eaten pizza. You are a life saver!




So will I be competing in the Worlds? Maybe…. You’ll have to watch this space. Everything is still a little too sore to make a decision just yet.

Hope to see you out on the tracks soon and a big thanks again for everyone’s support.


Photos by: Sacha Leeman (Pro Image Photography)